Monday, February 21, 2011

High Maintenance

One of those things that happens when you have been married for a while is "letting yourself go." What this generally means is you start to decrease all the high maintenance things you would do to yourself when you were dating. After being married for a while, having a baby and working from home, most all of those "high maintenance" things I used to do have gone flying out the window. My PJ/Workout clothes drawer has multiplied into 2 drawers and my fancy clothes from 4 years ago are in the back of my closet. The other day, I stumbled upon a picture of me on my first date with Bill (which I was looking pretty good in) and I began to recall of the things I did to get ready for that day. I did my hair, wore a skirt - actually it was a whole ensemble, polished my nails, did my eyebrows, the list goes on and on. I took a look at my closet and realized that somewhere down the line, I lost my style, lost my high maintenanceness - if you will, I lost my grove. I'm gonna get it back.

I have been really good about finding the time to work out and get my runs in and finding the cash to finance my races, shoes, and other gadgets...along with that I need to find the money and time to get out of my sweats and my official hair-do of a ponytail and into something a little less...homeless looking. I realize we just don't have the moola for an overnight transformation and I definitely do not need to be a "Swan" contestant, but I need to learn how to be a tad more high maintenance on a budget. I graduated from cosmetology school for goodness sake, I should be all up on the makeover bandwagon.

This week I bought Crest Whitestrips (Advanced Vivid) from Target, I think they were around 35 bucks or so. They are the first step to my high maintenance lifestyle.

Yes, I am wearing the strips for the picture, they are just hard to see.

I also painted the nails and toenails, since mani-pedis are not in the budget. I really believe that manicures and pedicures can be done at home...but an occasional pedicure is necessary. No feet pics, since I am sporting my compression socks and it is too much of an effort to get them on and off.


There will be up and coming posts on this self transformation.

As far as running, last week I didn't wear my compression socks and my calves/shin splints were on the rise...so I ran less miles and did a couple Jillian Shred workouts (I am up to level 2). I think the issue might be with my new shoes, but I am trying to ignore it since I spent lots of money on them. I am going to wear my old shoes next week and if I do better in them, I might just have to suck it up and get another pair. I plan on getting back to my mileage schedule tomorrow which is 4/2/4/R/6. I still have not selected a race for May...but I do plan on picking one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment