Tuesday, September 28, 2010

10 Miles - Check

I did it! I am a double digit rockin mama! I completed my first 10 mile run - holy cow that was long and hard! My hubby and I ran last night at around 7pm, it took us a little over 2 hours with a bathroom break, several water breaks(at the end especially - it was super hot yesterday), and a couple walking breaks at the end. I am very proud even with my walking breaks - I remember seeing the 10 miles on the chart when I first started and thinking "I wonder if I will ever get that far." Well, I did!

Since it was so hot, I really didn't want to eat toast or oatmeal or something warm before we left, so I consructed the best pre-run shake ever. With the exception of burping bananas at mile 5, I think I should get a prize for this one:

Banana PB Shake*:
3 bananas
4 TBSP No Sugar Peanut Butter
2 TBSP Honey
1 Scoop of sugar free vanilla protien powder
1 serving carton of Zico Coconut water
Lots of ice

*makes 2 servings

Even with my shake, I got a little hungry at mile 6 so I might add oats to the recepie to bulk it up a little (just blend it all together).

Today my legs are very tired, I think I might do one of my yoga videos to streach everything out reall good, but I am going to wait till later tonight.

I am following Hal Higdon's Marathon training schedule, but I will also be completing the LB 1/2 Marathon in aprox 3 weeks. On my schedule, this is my taper week, but it does not take into account the race since the goal is for the marathon. I am going back in forth in my head if maybe I should go for the 11 miles this weekend and then taper the following week before the race, so I will be nice and fresh OR I can just keep following the schedule and take an extra couple days off before the race. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I may have lost you on this...hopefully you follow.

Oh and one more thing, so I heard all this great stuff about ice baths, I was so excited to finally try it out. I got 2 bags of ice on the way home, filled the tub with cool water (on the cool setting), dumped the bags in the tub and got in. It wasn't that cold; all the ice melted, I think the heat from the day must have warmed our pipes...anyways that was a nice try. Next time.

3 comments:

  1. YAY on double D running! {no worries, double digit . . running}.

    YAY for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the heat wave that you all are having down there! It made the front page of our local paper... big news :) Stay cool, and hydrated.

    ReplyDelete