Monday, September 20, 2010

I Am Finally Ready

Ok so now I am ready to talk about the long, long, 9 mile run. I know I lagged on posting, but I have been addicted to The Office that I found on Netflix. I have never really been a fan, but I realized that if you watch it in order the jokes make more sense and it is pretty funny. Watching all of the episodes has been taking up all of my free time - I told you I have that kind of personality where once I get started I am all in...well, that is just another example - thank God for running.

Anyways, back to the 9 miles...HOLY COW! 9 miles is a long way. Like I explained before, we did it at the beach (we had my mother and father in law watch Jesse) at about mile 4 we drank some Gatorade and had our Gu package. I was feeling good until about 7.5, that is where I really had to dig deep and push through. At about the same time, my husband decided that he was going to speed up, so I was on my own. I just told myself that I needed to complete this to do the half and I would regret it if I gave up and walked, I put a good song on my Ipod and gave myself stop markers, you know "I'll stop when I get to (fill in the blank)," then when I got there I would do the whole routine over again. It seemed to work pretty well. When it was over I had to take my shoes off - my feet were so HOT! They were all red and swollen - yuck. Once I put them in the cold ocean they went back to normal. It took me a couple days to feel like myself again, 9 miles really wiped me out.

So we have 10 miles to do this weekend and I am excited and nervous at the same time. It will be my fist double digit mileage I have ever done running. That seems like such a milestone to me. Its funny since almost ever week has been a milestone (with the exception of taper weeks). I love that part of training. I keep thinking "there is no way I will be able to do that," and then I do. It's amazing. I really just need to learn to trust the process.

This is a picture of me, Jesse, my mom, and my aunt Carla at Disneyland - random - but it was the day before the 9 miler so, somewhat applicable :)

2 comments:

  1. You're doing great! You want something that will blow your mind? Get in your car and drive 9 or 10 miles. Then reflect on how far that *really* is.

    Keep up the good work. I'll be doing a 10 miler in the hills this weekend. I'll send some mojo your way.

    ReplyDelete